The
duology of Persepolis by Marjane
Satrapi are memoirs of the author; starting with Persepolis writing the experience of her childhood in Iran during
the Iran-Iraq war and its transition into an Islamic Republic. The sequel, Persepolis 2 is about her moving abroad
to Austria and her experiences there, then returning to Iran; experiencing
culture shocks in both countries. In my opinion, the sequel reveals more of
Satrapi’s change in character. I also noticed how peer pressure and living in a
conservative society also caused a change Satrapi’s character, which is what I
had focused on while reading both stories.
Peer
pressure and living in such a conservative society definitely had an effect on
the protagonist, who is also the author, Marjane Satrapi. The first book, Persepolis began when Satrapi was a pre
teenager, and later developed into her becoming a young teenager. During this
age, many people are given into peer pressure, which was evident in Satrapi’s
character throughout the book. Growing up, she wanted to hang out with the
older girls and skipped class. Also during the transition into Iran becoming an
Islamic Republic; kids like Satrapi were told to lie to people that they
followed Islam, prayed and etc. Satrapi also fell into this to save herself
from getting in trouble with the “religious police.”
In Persepolis 2, the effect of peer pressure on Satrapi’s character
was quite evident compared to its prequel. After moving to Austria to stay safe
from the war going on back home, she was alone in a new country, a new way of
life. The only people she knew there abandoned her. She later fell into a
friend circle, but then led her into smoking and selling marijuana/weed. She
began taking lovers, smoking cigarettes, eventually being homeless, etc.;
things she would have never have imagined doing in Iran. After returning to
Iran, Satrapi fell into a culture shock as she did when arriving to Austria.
This did not look like the country she considered her home. Satrapi was also
embarrassed to face her family since many would think she had accomplished so
much while living abroad, which in her eyes was the opposite.
I think that I preferred to put myself in serious danger rather than confront my shame. My shame at not having become someone, the shame of not having made my parents proud after all the sacrifices they had made for me. The shame of having become a mediocre nihilist.
I think that I preferred to put myself in serious danger rather than confront my shame. My shame at not having become someone, the shame of not having made my parents proud after all the sacrifices they had made for me. The shame of having become a mediocre nihilist.
The
people that she came across back in Iran also treated her differently as
before. They considered her too “western.” During this experience, Satrapi
quoted:
I was a westerner in Iran, an Iranian in the west. I had no
identity. I didn’t even know anymore why I was living.
It was
easily shown throughout the sequel, how much Satrapi was changing and how much
the change took a toll on her.
From
the beginning of the first book, Persepolis
to the end of the second book, Persepolis
2, Satrapi went through many different stages in her life. Her own mind
caused a change and her outside surroundings also had an effect on the change
of her character.
Works Cited
Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis. New York, NY: Pantheon, 2003. Print.
Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return. New York: Pantheon, 2004. Print.
Works Cited
Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis. New York, NY: Pantheon, 2003. Print.
Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return. New York: Pantheon, 2004. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment